I want to thank the North Richland Hills Baptist Church family for your generous giving to Better Together. You have given more than $1.1 million through the end of 2013. And your gifts are making a big difference:
• Our missionary friends in SE Asia are using our gifts to gather the believers there together for encouragement and prayer. Your gifts are also being used to send an evangelist throughout the villages.
• The Point Church in Vancouver, British Columbia recently baptized eight people and witnessed several more people coming to know Christ.
• Our church gave a Study Bible to a mother of a recently converted woman in Beijing, China. The mother came to know Christ over the Christmas holiday. We will be sending a small team to Beijing in June to put on a Kids Camp for approximately 100 kids.
• Nine mission teams from NRHBC will go to China, India, Spearfish, SD, and Vancouver, British Columbia.
Better Together is about making disciples throughout the world, the Mid-Cities and in North Fort Worth. It is about reaching more people with Christ’s love and compassion. Sunday, February 9, is the final one-day offering to finish the first year of Better Together. Our one-day goal for February 9 is to raise $300,000. When we announce our one-day offering total during “In His Presence” on Sunday night, February 9, our church family will have given $1.5 million to Better Together endeavors.
This money will be used in three ways:
• To purchase the nearly 27 acres of land for our satellite campus;
• To fund missions endeavors such as the ones above;
• And to cover the start-up expenses of the Cross Church campus (our satellite location) as it starts meeting on Palm Sunday.
Again, this is the last offering before we officially own the land. Your gifts are greatly needed as we make a $1 million down payment toward the $3 million price of the land.
As you consider your gift of sacrifice on February 9, I want to remind you of the poor widow’s gift and Jesus’ words.
“And he sat down opposite the treasury and watched the people putting money into the offering box. Many rich people put in large sums. And a poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which make a penny. And he called his disciples to him and said to them, “Truly, I say to you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the offering box. For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on.” (Mark 12:41-44)
From this moving example of sacrifice, Jesus taught us three important truths.
- Our attitude is more important than our amount when giving
- It is always possible to give something IF we really trust God.
- God measures our faith by comparing what we’ve given with what we have left over after we’ve given.
As you pray about what a genuine “sacrifice“ will mean to you, I urge you to read the Bible story of the miracle that happened when a single parent gave away what little she had (1 Kings 17:8-16). God took care of her the rest of her life. And God is still doing miracles today in the lives of those who dare to trust him!
Please join me in praying for everyone in our church family as we consider what part God wants each of us to have in making our gift to Better Together. The weekend of February 9 is going to be a great opportunity to exercise your faith. I can hardly wait to see what God does through us. We really have an amazing church family and I am grateful to be apart of it!